Thursday, February 25, 2010

How do I calculate how many gallons of paint I need for the inside of my home?

I'm repainting and want to be able to estimate how many gallons I will need.How do I calculate how many gallons of paint I need for the inside of my home?
Number 2 has a clue,,, and after measuring,,, or rather DURING measuring, do not subtract windows or doorways. Allowing those added areas will give you extra paint, which you may need?





On every paint can is suggested the coverage area for that gallon. Then just compare your measurments.





That said, the suggested coverage is taken from THEIR testing, and your application may differ. Of course their disclaimers usually state that.





All paint has different qualities, and applies differently. Also the size roller nap you use will determine how fast, or slow the gallons are used up.





Flat is the most porous, most difficult to keep clean and maintain, after the fact.





Satin has more agents in it allowing for better cleanup.





Semi gloss will have more clean ability agents but you may not want a sheen? Semi gloss also takes more paint to ';cover';





I've applied thousands of gallons of paint. I'd go with Satin, and two different size roller naps. 3/8 for smooth walls, 1/2 for more textured walls, and you should have extra if you follow your measurments as compared to recommendations on the can.





Example: a 10 x 12 room with 8 ft ceilings has 352 sq. ft. of paintable surface. I'm holding a gallon of satin from COLOR WHEEL, which states 250 to 350 sq. ft. per can depending on how porous the sub wall/paint/finish is. A gallon of paint COULD actually allow two coats however, depending on how you apply it.





Rev. StevenHow do I calculate how many gallons of paint I need for the inside of my home?
Email me...I'll help you out. Good answers in here, but you need to talk with someone.
length x width x height use the square footage and figure 300 to350 square feet per gallon of paint example 10x10 room with8ft wall heights will be 80 sg ft per wall comes to about 320 paintable surface so 1 gallon for one coat always do 2 coats for proper coverage and finish
Take one hose pipe close all windows and doors turn hose pipe on in room to be painted, wait for room to fill up with water, turn hose pipe off and drill hole in bottom of door catch water in 1 gallon bucket count number of buckets to empty room of water.





Take total number of buckets of water and divide by length + breadth + hight of room, VIOLA you have correct number of gallons of paint you need to decorate room.
There is a paint estimator on Dunn Edwards website. DunnEdwards.com which is easy to use and does the math for you. We use it all of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment