Thursday, February 25, 2010

Can you paint the ugly brown walls in a mobile home?

I want to paint my room but I don't know if I can. The walls are like brown pannels. It's a trailer so does anyone know?Can you paint the ugly brown walls in a mobile home?
Yes, we had a painter come in and do our office. Our office is basically a modular home, which is a trailer that has a foundation instead of wheels. She did a great job with our ugly brown walls. At the paint store, let them know what kind of surface you'll be painting and they can recommend the right kind of primer. Our office was painted a pale mauve and it just really brightened up the place.Can you paint the ugly brown walls in a mobile home?
The ugly brown walls are likely paneling. The home I purchased was remodeled by the former owners and paneled EVERYWHERE. I hated it and either painted or wallpapered every room - wow what a difference. If the paneling is clean, you can use laytex paint to cover it. If you want a light color on the walls, you will need to use more than one coat. If you like texture, you can cover the walls first with joint compound. I applied it to my kitchen walls that had mismatched paneling with a trowel used for joint compound and made it look like old italian plaster. I painted over the compound after it dried with a light colored paint then I sponge painted over it in places with a darker color. It was messy, but fun; I've had all kinds of complinents on the textured walls. I have even had offers to apply this technique to other homes.
Wash the walls using detergent and warm water; rinse thoroughly.


Lightly sand/scuff the surface with sandpaper, then wipe down


walls with damp rag/sponge to remove sanding dust.


Roll on oil based primer, let dry/cure 6-8hrs. (overnight is best)


Then paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment